Thursday, August 22, 2013

Creation Care


By now we’ve all made re-useable grocery bags a part of our everyday lives. Both of our cars have an assortment in the trunk, and we’ve just about gotten to the place where we remember to grab them before entering the market. And while I’ve heard the cacophony coming from those who think this it is ridiculous to take away our free plastic bags, I am thankful for this seemingly small decision on the part of the stores.

As a clergyman I am all too painfully aware that many in the church have been guilty of the “its all going to burn so trash it” mentality regarding the physical world. And while it is true that my theology does include a cataclysmic re-forming of the physical realm, I adamantly oppose the idea that we are at liberty to do what we want with and to the world around us. After all, I believe the songwriter’s line “This is my Father’s world.”

My idea of creation care may look, in terms of actions, just like that of those who don’t share my theistic worldview. I care about the earth, and want to preserve as much of its beauty and utility as is possible. This means I am intentional about many things, from not using plastic whenever possible to thinking about conservation and renewable resources when planning our campus improvements and buildings. But the difference is that I’m doing it because I believe that God created this world, and that even though it has been corrupted by sin and is being polluted by sinners, it is still loved by Him, and worth taking care of.

When my own father died I inherited some of his library. He had many old books, and I have a few that I just love having and holding. A few of them are so old as to be unusable now, but they still hold great value for me simply because they were his. And so I do all I can to take care of them.

The same is true for the earth. I believe it is my Father’s world, and that He takes care of it, and has entrusted its care to us at some level. And so I believe it is imperative that I live here in light of the fact that my God still has plans for the earth, and holds me accountable as His child to think highly of what He thinks highly of.

Many months ago at our church we saw a chance to let the valley know that we cared about the plight of creation. We had thousands of green, re-useable grocery bags printed up with a message that, at Grace, creation matters. At the time we had no idea that plastic bags would become persona non gratia at the local markets. We just wanted it known that our faith in God demanded our concern for His world.

It is an ongoing concern to me that many who base their worldview on the reality of God, and the theistic propositions arising from that reality continue to smile at environmental concerns as though they were silly. This constitutes a huge inconsistency in their ethic simply because they have chosen to exempt this area from being tied to the reality of God as expressed in the Bible. It is clear that the biblical worldview begins with the truth that “the earth is the Lord and all that it contains” (Psalm 24:1). To turn a blind eye here is certainly hypocritical. But then again, hypocrisy is nothing new for the church. Sadly, we’re experts at it, and battling it is one of our greatest challenges. Yet, it is also true that there are within the church those whose lives do reflect that authenticity and truth of Jesus Christ. And it is my hope that the church will once again be a leader in our society in living responsibly, and biblically, before a watching world. Caring about creation is one way we can do that.   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home