Saturday, May 01, 2010

Comfort Zones

I've been pondering the idea of "stepping out of my comfort zone." Like me, you've heard this many times. We've been encouraged to do it, to go outside the supposed boundaries of our comfort. Those calling us to do so make it sound like comfort is a bad thing, a self-centered thing, and ultimately, a barrier to better living. And all this time I've believed that comfort was a good thing! And so I've been thinking about this, and have come to a conclusion: calling someone to "step out of their comfort zone" is foolish, and actually quite counter-productive. If the thing you want us to do is "outside" the zone of comfort then even if we do it, we'll just retreat back into the zone when you're not looking. This is especially true if you keep telling us that the "thing" is actually uncomfortable! So, I have a better idea.

Here it is: instead of saying "step out of your comfort zone" to get me to do something uncomfortable, say "enlarge your comfort zone to encompass a new opportunity." Enlarging my comfort zone calls on me to do two things. First, to believe that there are actually "comfortable" things that I don't now recognize. Second, to understand that once I recognize and grasp those as yet unknown comfortable things, it will make my life so much better! And isn't that what we all want anyway? Don't we want a bunch more "comfortable" things that more and more occupy our lives with great variety? And isn't that really what God wants? Would He rather have us step out from time to time in order to minimize our overall guilt, or have us enlarge the scope of things we do "comfortably" for Him? I think the second option is the one we all know He wants, and by which He is most glorified. So, try this:

Think of something you're uncomfortable doing, but you know would really bring a smile to God. Then, concentrating on God's glory, check off all the myths you currently believe that keep you from being comfortable doing what God loves. Then do it! And when you find that you're most satisfied when He's most glorified, you won't be tempted to retreat to a zone of comfort; rather, you'll find that your zone has grown to encompass what God has in mind. So, don't settle for "stepping out". Grow your zone!

Hope this helps,

David

7 Comments:

At 4:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Once again I appreciate the positive perspective you provide on this issue.

TC

 
At 1:59 PM , Blogger DeedieLynn said...

I really appreciate this perspective, David. You've shared it a few times in sermons in the past months, and I've thought, "yes, what a better way to think about doing something kind of scary". I need all the encouragement I can get, as I can be a much-afraid. Thanks for encouraging and exhorting us to stretch and grow in loving others!

 
At 3:41 PM , Anonymous dpetrella said...

yea, grow your zone, what an incredible way to think of that. I like your views.
I know as I've gotten older Im very comfortable and it is bad, so daily I've been pushing myself to do the harder thing.

 
At 11:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you. I love the way you rephrased that concept. It's amazing how much a message's implications can change with a simple rewording.

 
At 9:05 PM , Blogger Joseph said...

Maybe the two are not mutually exclusive. We need to step out (or at least hang out at the edge) of our comfort zone in order to grow/expand it?

 
At 12:17 PM , Blogger Cioara Andrei said...

Foarte interesant subiectul deybatut de tine.M-am uitat pe blogul tau si imi place ce am vazut, cu siguranta am sa mai revin o zi buna!

 
At 6:59 AM , Anonymous Kannan said...

Good post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home