Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The Irony of Avitar

Yes, I went and say James Cameron's movie, along with my wife and son and some good friends. And yes, I have several thoughts about the movie, and thought I would write them down. So here goes:

1) The movie is visually spectacular. We treated ourselves to the 3D version, slapped on the classy glasses and remained visually engaged for 2/12 hours! The colors and the speed were especially impressive to me. As a film designed for pure visual engagement I rate it very high.

2) I also marveled at how Cameron got me to consider the Na'vi as though they were human. By the end of the movie, I was quite attached to several of them as characters with "something" about them that I found admirable. I found myself wanting to visit their world. That was strange for me given that I absolutely hate science fiction films.

3) It was hard to see American soldiers as the bad guys, just as it was hard to miss Cameron's biases concerning the deity of the environment, the evil of progress and corporate greed, and the interconnected "pantheism" of all living creatures. But, honestly, I knew this going in, and did not attend this film for the purposes of political enlightenment.

4) My main impression was that the film is a classic example of post-modern irony. Here's what I mean:

The basis of the film is that technological advancement comes at the price of our natural environment, and the authenticity of relationship. More technology means we get less real life. This is part of the post-modern cry against the "religion of progress" that fueled modernism. And yet, the irony here is that it is the very progress of technology that Cameron relied upon to make the film in the first place. He uses newly developed techniques to produce a film that vilifies new techniques. What the film's bad guys do to the Na'vi in the name of progress is essentially what Cameron has done to traditional film making with his technologically advanced techniques.

In a nutshell, this is the problem with the post-modern answers that some are trying to give to the problems of modernity. The answers themselves need modern elements as their foundation. For example, one of the mantras of post-modernism is that we can never know something is true for sure. Yet, to prove this, they have to resort to some sort of absolutism, which is truly modern.

So, as a film critic I am totally unreliable. I enjoy what I enjoy, even when it is laced with bad political theory, and even worse theology. For me, Avitar was filled with both, and yet, since I don't believe thinking people get their politics and theology from Hollywood, I'm not going to castigate Avitar as dangerous. And as for non-thinking people, even if they do take some erroneous views away from this movie, they'll forget them as soon as they leave the theater.

Hope this helps,

David

9 Comments:

At 1:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The word is spelled "avatar".

 
At 1:34 PM , Anonymous Chris vance said...

Great perspective,I like your directness and singular thinking. Chris Vance

 
At 12:48 PM , Blogger BoRazz said...

Hey David,
Are you the David Hegg that used to pastor in Corona; I can't tell from your picture. If so, good to reconnect (we used to be supported by that church)
Anyhow, thanks for the post about Avatar; I also saw it and thought it a great movie from the standpoint of story, digital imaging, and imagination.
We need to interact with the cultural shifts that are taking place; as missionaries to the West this is the kind of film we need to see; it provides a window of understanding into the worldview of those we are responsible to love today; learning the language of the postmodern is our task, even as the message and example of Jesus must compete in the marketplace of ideas that are now intermixing globally; exciting days, and challenging too. thanks.

 
At 5:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, we just saw this film and I agree with you on your take of it. I saw it to as a sweet love story and the best thing was the guy got the use of his legs back. The film industry always makes villians out of all that is the core of this country, yet they are enjoying all the benifits of it.
D Petrella

 
At 1:40 PM , Blogger grannygear said...

Well reasoned.

 
At 1:56 AM , Blogger Ghulam Mustafa said...

i wana fuck ur sister

 
At 1:08 PM , Blogger Ein said...

I loved the perspective that you brought about this film, it mirrors much of what I saw and felt about it. the story was good and well thought out, but in the end it did leave a certain lingering concern about the underlying tones of the film.

 
At 8:51 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Love this!

 
At 8:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor David.
I was trying to find some Heggism and came across your blog. I attend GBC.
I looooooooooove Sci Fi. I enjoyed this movie as a movie. I did find it sad that humans once again are the "baddie guys". Hopefully, people will just enjoy the movie for the cool effects and then realize that Humans can be good with a little help from above. :) Andrea L.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home