Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Rough Spots

In my previous post, on changes that lie ahead for Cherylyn and I, I mentioned that during the discussions with the Elders at Grace Baptist Church, there had been some very serious discussions. I even mentioned that along the way we had encountered “rough spots” in the road. Some have wondered about that, so let me explain further.

As you might hope, the Grace team understood the serious nature of their task. They were accountable both to Christ and the Grace family to verify that the man they presented to the congregation was, to the best of their knowledge, the man God had chosen for Grace. A very sobering task! And, to do so they were committed to look everywhere, especially in the areas of the man’s life and theology, with care and wisdom. And so, again as you would hope, no subject was off limits. Our discussions covered the nature of the church, the sovereignty of God in salvation, the theology of the cross, the obligatory discussion of eschatological schemes, and a host of other less controversial topics. We also spoke of the more practical issues of Christian liberty and life. Along the way we listened and spoke carefully, testing everything under the lens of Scripture. And, in what was for me a providential sign that God was in this, we came to recognize and rejoice in a one-ness of heart and mind.

In many ways, our discussions were like a journey down a long and sometimes deeply rutted road. As we drove, where the road was smooth, we sped along. But when we hit the rough spots, we were forced to slow down and examine everything a bit more carefully. In reality, these “rough spots” were the cause of some wonderfully serious discussions which led to greater understanding, greater agreement, and consequently, greater trust.

The process through which I was lovingly and prayerfully led by the leaders at Grace has left me believing that our partnership will be a good one for many years to come. We will learn from one another, and teach one another, and probably disagree with one another from time to time. Yet, our mutual commitment to the message and mission of Christ will cause us to deal with our differences differently, bringing them to the Word and seeking to be of one mind. That’s the way of wisdom; that’s what it means to seek the mind of Christ. We’ve started our partnership that way, and that’s a very good sign that it will remain healthy into the future.

Hope this helps,

David

6 Comments:

At 6:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor David,
I have been reading your posts as well as the comments made. It must be a challenging time for you and your family. We continue to pray that God will lead your steps gracefully. My wife and I are looking forward to hear you in person and see how the Spirit of God will lead us as members of Grace family. Thank you for being open in sharing with us and help both families through. As for me, the fact that you like soccer is a big win...

Blessings,
Sargon

 
At 3:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you wrote is a little bit confusing and vague. What are those differences that you mentioned in your piece?
Question: Is the theology of Grace church the same as of Northpoint specially in regard to the role of Senior Paster???

 
At 7:38 PM , Blogger walter said...

David,

Not sure what prompted me to gaze at your blog tonight for the first time in a really long time. Perhaps it was God's timing.
My prayers go with you and Cheryl. I also pray that the folks at Northpoint will be able to cherish the blessings of the Lord in having you as their pastor, brother and friend. Sadly, from experience of myself and others I know that the flesh will hinder some. Hopefully, that will not be too difficult for you.
I also pray that the days ahead will be rich in a melding of spirits and minds at Grace. I was talking with a member there recently who was excited and certain that their search team had found a good man, though she didn't know who at the time. Her spirit reflected a great trust factor in that church.
God bless you, brother. May God protect, guide and grant you great wisdom.
Walter Price

 
At 2:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that you do seem to be a little vague on the rough spots. I have to say as a member of Grace Baptist I have been very worried about the powers to be leaning more to the propose driven model of Rick warren whom I find to be very liberal and frankly very wrong in his teach on God’s word. Would this be part of the rough spot? One last question and a very big one at that, would you consider yourself an Armenian or a Calvinist in your theology? Thank You.

 
At 10:35 AM , Blogger Kyle D Evans said...

Dave,

You are an incredibly prayerful man and I know that this decision has not only been led by God, but prayed over by your amazing wife Cherylyn, your family, and your dear friends. Although I can't imagine how hard it is to leave Northpoint or the pressure this may cause on some relationships, I can only hope that those people who truly love you will show you the respect and kindness you deserve. We chose our church up here in Seattle because we loved the style of your teaching and the impact you had. I know that God is going to continue to use you in amazing ways (and he doesn't need a building to do that)! We can't wait to see you again and we wish you and your family all the best during this time of transition!

Warm Regards,

Kyle and Amy Evans
Seattle, WA

 
At 12:36 PM , Blogger John Evarts said...

David,

Just wanted to leave you a word of encouragement. My wife and I have been members of Grace four almost 5 years. I was talking with my mother-in-law this morning and asked if she had heard you talk about why you were leaving your church to take this position. She gave me a brief answer but said "go read his blog". So I did.

I really appreciate that you have been willing to respond to the comments on your blog. I think I may have been tempted to just brush them aside as the minority or even respond quickly and curtly. You, however, did a marvelous job. Very candid, but also very courteous.

I was raised in a Christian Evangelical Assemblies church and was very worried when we moved here about attending a "baptist" church. I was concerned about legalism. Turns out I was wrong. And seeing your comments on Christian liberty I feel good about how you will lead us in this area (which is a big one to me!).

Welcome. I am glad that God has brought you to Grace, and my family and I are ready for you to lead us on!

Also, my drink is an iced Americana from Sbux, so I was glad to see your favorite drink. Do you take sugar? I hope not.

John

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home