Monday, October 24, 2011

Faithful Wounds

I was recently reminded of a powerful verse from the book of Proverbs: "Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but deceitful are the kisses of an enemy" (Proverbs 27:6). It caused me to wonder what Solomon had experienced that brought this powerful truth out of his life and into written form.

While I'll never know what Solomon went through, I do know the times in my life when this proverb proves itself to be true. As a somewhat public figure I know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of bombs lobbed from a distance. The advent of email has made this particularly easy. People can sit far away, and whenever it suits them, they can fire off criticisms and negative perceptions based on nothing more than their own analysis, faulty as it may be.

Over time I have learned that even the most antagonistic critic can offer some truth that needs to be heeded. If fact, it actually helps me withstand criticism if I find something valuable in it. This turns a certain negative into somewhat of a positive. But I have to be direct and honest here: criticisms from those who are invested and engaged in the mission of Christ through the church to the world carry much more value in my eyes. Even more, those who have decided to partner - not merely join - with us here at Grace Baptist occupy a position in my heart that grants them the highest level of attention, regardless of whether their thoughts are critical or encouraging. The wounds of those who are friends and partners are worth so much more because of their faithfulness to our shared mission.

Some people just don't understand this. They think I should be as receptive to their criticisms as I am to the concerns of those pulling the plow alongside me. And, as stated above, I do believe that the Lord wants me to analyze every suggestion that comes my way to see what helpful truth might be there. But, the simple truth is this: if you're sitting in the stands watching the rest of us fight the battles, your perception and suggestions and criticisms just don't carry much weight. If you're not a real friend and partner, I may not really have time to heed your words. You can still send them my way, but if you really want me to stop everything and consider what you're seeing and saying, sign on, step up, and join the struggle.

On the opposite side of the equation, if you're throwing kisses from up in the stands recognize that those of us in the battle are wise not to fully trust your motives. If you really appreciated what we were doing, you'd join us. So please excuse us if we're less than giddy about your long-range commendations. As a good friend has said "compliments are like perfume; a little is nice but you should never drink it."


Hope this helps,

David

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home